Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Angels in America

This is one long watch, infact it's two long watches. It's so long that it doesn't fit onto one disc, it's two separate 3 hour pieces. I cannot express enough how important it is that everyone see this, it says so much about America in the mid 80s, so much about the political climate, the social culture, it comments on belief systems, the American health care system, civil rights, repression, gay rights, the AIDS epidemic that claimed so many lives.

I watched it in one day, almost in one sitting. It has some unconventional ideas on the nature of god, angels and heaven. It has some wonderful acting from a superb cast, Meryl Streep and Emma Thompson both gave many great performances.

I guess it's rare to find something that portrays emotions you can actually believe but this does, you care about the obviously flawed characters which is the beauty of this film, it provokes emotion for characters who are far from perfect.
Mary-Louise Parker's portrail of the valium addicted Harper Pitt was simply astonishing. I found myself willing her through her illusions, wishing that she could find the peace that she wanted in Antartica.

Before watching this i had questioned if something this long would be able to hold my attention, it did. I now wish that i had the chance to see the theatre production.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home